Now that it looks like both Celia and Jude are tolerating sweet potatoes, the hunt is on to find things to do with them. Thankfully, sweet potatoes are popular for Paleo diets, so that means there's plenty of inspiration out there on Google and Pinterest. I found this brownie recipe from A Big Man's World and it had promise. It still needed a few tweaks to work for us, but it was a start. It's certainly unconventional - no butter, no milk, no flour, no eggs, but it's still delicious and fudgey.
Damien loves to help in the kitchen, and usually plays sous chef to one of the older kids. Since he was the only kid home at the time, he got called up to the major leagues! I think his first "head chef" dish was a success!
Sweet Potato Browniesgluten free - vegan - paleo friendly
makes 6-9 brownies
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup mashed sweet potato (about 2 small potatoes)
1/2 cup coconut manna (coconut butter)
2 Tbsp coconut nectar (or maple syrup)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup chocolate chips + about 1/4 cup for on top (optional)
1. Grease a small pan (we used a 1 quart Corningware dish - about 7" square) with the coconut oil. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. You'll need to acquire 1 cup of mashed sweet potato. We microwaved two small potatoes and peeled the skin off, since we didn't have any already in the refrigerator. Place it into a mixer bowl.
3. Add the coconut manna and nectar.
4. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
5. Add cocoa powder and mix on low speed (so you don't wear it!) until combined. You might need to stop and scrape the bowl down.
6. Add the first 1/4 cup of chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
7. Turn the batter out into the pan and smooth the top.
8. Optional: Sprinkle the top with the second round of chocolate chips. Or, if you're five years old or a chocolate fan, painstakingly cover the entire top of the brownies with chocolate.
9. Place in preheated oven and bake 20-25 minutes, or until a tester comes out with only a few crumbs. You can lick the beaters, too.
10. Slice and enjoy. Ideally, share.
©2012- 2016 Adventures with Jude. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://adventureswithjude.com