5 gems overheard in our house this week:
1. Nice try, buddy...but it didn't work.
Jude: I can't do this. I'm just a child.
Me: Who is smart.
Jude: I'm just pretending to be smart. I'm fake smart.
2. Some holidays deserve more respect:
Jude: I can't do schoolwork! It's Groundhog Day! It's a holiday!
Yes, he still had to do work.
3. Neal had back surgery about 10 days ago, and is recuperating mostly in bed because that's where he can get into a comfortable position. Overheard at dinnertime:
Me to Luke: Can you babysit the (cooking) hamburgers while I run a tray up to dad?
Damien: I'll babysit the potato chips!
4. I was trying to explain Social Security and the shortfall to Luke using examples a teen boy would understand:
Say everyone at the Warehouse pays into a kitty for birthday parties, and one person shops for cake. The guarantee is you get cake now on your birthday (the "disability-when-you-qualify" angle), plus if you retire, you still get cake for life ("retirement benefit"). Pop pays his $10/month for years, then retires. You still have to buy him cake (because you promised), but you're now short his $10 every month. How will you make it up? Buy him a cheaper cake, or everybody say, "OK, there are 6 of us still here, everybody chip in another 2 bucks."
5. Jude's been doing a lot of sensory seeking this week. He's been running in circles, and jumping on the mini-trampoline in the basement. For something different, I hooked up his net swing.
"It was a dark and stimmy night."
Come on over to The Pebble Pond and join the party!
©2012- 2015 Adventures with Jude. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://adventureswithjude.com